Permanent food premises

Find out about design and construction standards for permanent food premises in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, as well as notification, registration and relevant legislation.

Page Index:

Notification and registration

Businesses that store, prepare, handle, serve and sell food are required to notify and register with the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

The City’s Health and Compliance Section is responsible for administering:

The Food Act 2008 signified a major change to the State's food regulatory environment. It controls the sale of food to ensure that it is safe and is suitable for human consumption.

Notification of food business

The Australia New Zealand Food Safety Standards require all food businesses to notify the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder:

  •  Before any new food business starts operations
  •  When the nature of an existing business changes
  •  When the ownership of an existing business changes.

Please download the Food business notification form (PDF) and include the following details:

  •  Proprietor’s name and address
  •  Nature of the food business
  •  Location of all food premises used by the business

Back to top

Food premises design and construction standards

All food premises are required to be compliant with the Food Act 2008 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. An additional requirement for new food premises is to submit fit-out plans and obtain approval from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder prior to commencing trade. 

Generally, the food premises and equipment should be designed, built and located so as to:

  •  Be easy to clean and maintain;
  •  Not be easy for insects and pests to inhabit.

Our Environmental Health Officers can provide advice on carrying out any alterations or construction. Please contact us for assistance.

To assist owners, architects and builders - The Australian Standard 4674-2004 'Design, construction and fit out of food premises' (AS 4674-2004) provides a guide to what is considered 'best practice' in relation to design, fit-out and construction.

For more information, please refer to the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code.
Back to top

Application for registration and licence

These forms are to be completed and submitted at your final building inspection, before opening for business.

If the application is approved, you will receive a certificate of registration and licence to operate a food business.

A registration fee will apply to businesses which serve or prepare meals for profit, but not for other types of food businesses. Please see our Schedule of fees and charges for more information.
Back to top