Public events and trading

Find out what you need to do to organise a public event or trade in a public area within the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Page index:


Temporary public events and public trading in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder often require approval from the following sections:

  •  Planning
  •  Building
  •  Environmental health.

For more information, please contact Health and Compliance.
Back to top

Large public events

The following State regulations protect the safety and wellbeing of people at concerts, expositions, fairs and festivals or other large community events:

Event organisers need to inform the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and obtain approval before the event.

Approval will be considered if the following requirements are met:

  • 3 weeks before the event: The City must be provided a detailed site plan
  • 2 weeks before the event: Kalgoorlie Police Station must be provided with event and contact details
  • 7 days before the event: Residents living in the area must be notified in writing
  • The City must grant approval if the noise is above a certain level, and be informed if food or alcohol is to be sold.
  • Stage decorations and promotional material must be non-flammable and non-toxic.
  • Public indemnity insurance of $10 million must be taken jointly with the City.
  • Fire equipment and adequately signed fire exits must be provided.
  • Sanitary facilities must be provided in proportion to number of attendees.
  • Security and crowd controllers with portable communications equipment must be provided in proportion to the number of attendees.
  • First aid must be available and be in a conspicuous location.
  • Sharps disposal containers must be available for patrons, in addition to containers in the toilet block.
  • Water must be available free of charge or at a nominal cost.

A fee may be charged for processing your application. Please download our information sheet on Concerts and public gatherings (PDF) for details on the above points.

Please download a Certificate of electrical compliance (PDF) form, which must be signed by a qualified electrician and lodged with the City.

For more information, please also go to the Public buildings and mass gatherings page on the WA Department of Health's Public Health website, which includes many resources and fact sheets such as the Guidelines for concerts, events and organised gatherings.
Back to top

Temporary structures at events

If your event requires the erection of a temporary structure or building for public use, such as staging, marquees and tents, a temporary public building permit is required.

The application needs to be lodged with the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder at least 30 days before the proposed event. If a noise exemption is required, please allow at least 60 days to process the application.

Please download and submit the following forms as part of your temporary building application:

Please download a Certificate of structural integrity for a temporary structure/marquee (PDF) form, which should be filled out by the person erecting the structure or marquee.
Back to top

Trading in public places

Any business intending to offer goods (but not services) for sale or hire on a street, reserve or other public place must obtain a permit.

Please download the Guidelines and application for public place trading (PDF), which includes information on the application procedure and the application form, including application fees and permit fees in the different zones.

Community Fairs, Markets and Home Made Produce

For anyone wanting to find more information on Community Fairs, Markets or Home Made produce, click here.

Back to top