Fire safety

Find out what fire restrictions are currently in place, how to obtain a burning off permit, and what other measures are in place to improve fire safety in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Page index:

Current fire restrictions


Permits are not required during this period.

The City recommends residents use the Yarri Road Refuse Facility to dispose of any unwanted household or garden waste materials. Gas BBQ's are permitted to be used for cooking purposes only.

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder's Rangers are authorised under the Bush Fires Act to investigate and monitor residential and commercial properties for potential fire hazards and to ensure compliance.
Back to top

Burning off periods

City of Kalgoorlie Boulder residents are encouraged to use our free Yarri Road waste management facility. Burning off of Garden or Offensive waste materials is not permitted at any time.

Burning off is only permitted according to the following schedule:

Date  Permitted/not permitted
1 May – 30 September No permit required (restrictions still apply)
1 October – 31 October Permit required
1 November – 31 March All burning prohibited
1 April – 30 April Permit required

Please download the Burning off periods guide (PDF) for more information.

Burning of the following materials is not allowed:

  • Plastic, rubber, food scraps, green waste or any other materials that are offensive when burnt; and
  • Any materials that can be disposed off through normal waste collection or at the waste management facility.

Failure to comply with fire restrictions or not having a permit when required, could result in fines ranging from $100–$1000 or prosecution.

Permits for burning off

During October and April, permits from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder are required for burning off. The City also has Health Local Laws in place which does not allow for the burning off of garden waste or materials at any time.

There is no fee for obtaining a permit, however they will only be issued in exceptional circumstances.

Applications for burning off or conducting fire-fighting drills must be made to Ranger Services, and some approvals may require the Minister’s authority.

The following conditions are met for a permit to be issued:

  •  There are no current restrictions in place;
  •  Burning takes place between 6–11 pm and is extinguished before midnight;
  •  A responsible adult is supervising during the entire burning off period;
  •  Water or fire extinguishers are available to control the fire; and
  •  Burning off takes place in an approved incinerator or in a safe area.

If burning off using an approved incinerator, it:

  •  Must not pose a nuisance or fire hazard; and
  •  Must be at least 2 metres from a fence, building or flammable material.

If burning off on the ground:

  •  All bush and flammable materials within 5 metres of the fire must be cleared; and
  •  Running water or fire extinguisher must be available.

Permits are issued subject to prevailing weather conditions and restrictions applied by the State Government and the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES).

You are required to inform the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Fire Station on the day you intend to burn.

For more information, please contact Rangers Services.
Back to top

Cooking with gas appliances

Gas fuel cooking appliances may only be lit in the open when:

  • It is at a person’s home; and
  • It is in an area that is set aside for the purpose, with the appropriate signage by the State or the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Back to top

Bushfires and fire protection

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) helps the community prepare, prevent and respond safely to disasters, and is the lead agency for bushfire control in the state.

Bushfire control

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder’s Chief Bushfire Control Officer is responsible for monitoring, reporting and controlling bushfires within City boundaries. He has responsibilities and delegated powers under the Bush Fires Act 1954, which includes liaising with other Bush Fire Control Officers at rural stations. A Bush Fire Control Notice will be issued prior to the commencement of the Bushfire season by the Chief Executive Officer. This notice will include any requirements that a property owner must undertake for the clearance of their property and the installation of firebreaks.

Fire fighting and emergency services

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) responds to a wide range of emergencies in the local area, including:

  •  Fire;
  •  Cyclones;
  •  Storms;
  •  Floods;
  •  Road accidents;
  •  Chemical spills; and
  •  Earthquakes.

It is able to perform search and rescue operations on land and water.

DFES and its volunteers also uses proactive measures to reduce injury, loss of life and destruction of property in our community.

Kalgoorlie Boulder Fire Station
189 Boulder Road
Kalgoorlie WA 6430

For enquiries, please contact:

Tel: +61 8 9021 1044
Fax: +61 8 9021 3279

For emergencies, please dial 000.

Kalgoorlie-Boulder State Emergency Service
Old Boulder Shire Depot
Hamilton Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430

Tel: +61 8 9093 2877
Back to top