Find out about the heritage assessment and conservation plan for the Hannan Street endowment block in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
Hannan Street endowment block
This area of Hannan Street, between the Town Hall and Saint Barbara's Square, was originally occupied by squatters, who set up small shops.
In 1897, as the squatters had previously resisted measures to remove them, Sir John Forrest promised the land as an endowment to the then-Municipality of Kalgoorlie, if they could remove the squatters. Hence the name "endowment block".
The block includes the City Markets, which are a fine example of 19th century covered markets. Official opened on 3 April 1901, the markets were a hub of activity for many years, with greengrocers, butchers and many others selling and auctioning their goods.
In 2006, the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder developed a conservation plan to identify the heritage significance of the block and make recommendations for conservation of each building. This plan was made possible by funding from Lotterywest.
For more information, please contact Planning Services.