Dog nuisances and offences

Find out how to resolve nuisance dog complaints, report dog attacks or appeal a dog infringement in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Nuisance dog complaints

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder encourages residents to resolve any dog-related complaints directly with your neighbour.

If this does not work, then please lodge a Nuisance dog complaint form (PDF) with Ranger Services, who will then investigate the complaint.

Rangers are empowered to:

  •  Issue infringements;
  •  Impound a dog; and
  •  Prosecute dog owners.

Please download the Barking dogs (PDF) information sheet, for tips on how to control your dogs barking.

Please contact Ranger Services for more information.

Dog attacks

The Dog Act 1976 allows the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder to investigate cases where a dog has attacked, or caused a person to fear being attacked, regardless if the dog has caused injury to a person or other animal or not, and to prosecute the dog owners if necessary.

A dog does not have to bite a person or animal to have attacked it—chasing a person or animal is still an offence.

If you or your dog has been injured in an attack, proceed immediately to the nearest medical or veterinarian clinic for treatment as required.

The owner or person in charge of the dog is liable for any damages or injuries caused by the attack—including veterinarian or doctor's fees—unless it can be proved that the dog was protecting a person, other animal or property. The affected party can recover these costs by lodging a civil claim in court.

The maximum penalty for a dog attack is $20,000 and/or imprisionment for 2 years.

To minimise the risk of a dog attack:

  •  Keep your dog on a leash at all times;
  •  Socialise your dog from an early age; and
  •  Attend training classes so it can interact with other dogs and people.

If a dog has been involved in an attack it should be reported to Ranger Services as soon as possible, who will investigate the attack.

You can also download the Dog attacks (PDF) information sheet, for a hardcopy of the above information.

Dog infringements

Dog infringements can be paid at:

Dog owners can appeal an infringement, but this must be done in writing.

All requests for a review of an infringement must be made in writing. A Dispute Form can be completed and returned to the Rangers Office or emailed to

For more information contact Ranger Services.