Frequently asked questions about rates

Find answers to the most frequently asked questions about rates in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

When will I receive my rates notice?

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder rates notices were mailed out in early August 2017.
If you have not received yours by this time, please contact (08) 9021 9654, or email one of our staff via: with your:

1.     Name,
2.     Contact details,
3.     Address of the property and;
4.     Your Postal address.


How are my rates calculated?

Rates are calculated by multiplying the gross rental value (GRV) by the rate-in-the dollar.

The GRV is an estimate of the rent a property could earn in a year. When property is vacant land, the GRV is calculated as 5% of the market price of the land.

The rate-in-the dollar is set by the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder when the Council adopts the budget.

Landgate assigns gross rental values (GRVs) to each and every property. Therefore your GRV may be different from your neighbours’.

For more information, please go to the Rates page.


What is GRV and what factors affect it?

The Gross Rental Value (GRV) is an annual rental value determined by the Valuer General.

It is calculated by analysing actual rental information assembled from statistics obtained from property managers, owners and other sources. This means that properties are rated on their income earning potential rather than their resale value.

The Valuer General revalues all properties within the metropolitan area once every three years. 2016/17 was a revaluation year.
Many variables affect the GRV of a property such as location, the number of bedrooms and bathrooms a property has, if the property has a pool and the age of the house.


What can I do if I disagree with the GRV for my property?

Under the Valuation of Land Act you have the right to object to the value that is used to determine your rates and taxes.

Objections can be lodged with the Valuer General’s Office (not the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder) by mail to PO Box 2222, Midland WA 6936 within 60 days of the issue of your rate notice.

Objections should be made in writing and must include: the full address of your property, the local government in which your property is located, the valuation to which the objection relates, and the detailed reasons and evidence in support of the grounds for objection. Click here to download the objection form, hard copies are also available at the City's Administration Office.
The completed objection form must be lodged within 60 days of the issue of your annual rate notice. Rates must be paid as assessed irrespective of whether you have lodged an objection. If the valuation is amended then a refund will be issued.


How is the rate-in-the-dollar calculated?

The rate-in-the-dollar is set by the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder when the Council adopts the budget. This happens before the annual rate notices are issued, and will not change until the next year's budget.

Rates account for about 30% of the City's income, and the rate-in-the-dollar is based on the total level of income required for our services.


What is a minimum rate?

A local government is able to set a minimum amount payable for properties in its district, and most local governments apply a minimum payment.

The minimum rate ensures that all ratepayers make at least a minimal contribution to the cost of providing the services to the whole community.


What happens to my rates if I build a new house, an addition or a pool?

When there are changes to your property that affect its valuation, the City receives advice of the new valuation and an effective date for that valuation from the Valuer General. It then issues an amended rate notice, called an interim rate notice.

Examples of where your valuation would be amended include:
  • a new building has been built
  • a pool has been installed
  • a new room has been added
  • a property has been demolished
The City usually receives the interim valuations from the Valuer General within 1-2 months of the completion of the addition.


What is the Pool Inspection fee and why do I pay it?

State legislation requires private swimming pool enclosures to be inspected once every four years.

The City has an ongoing inspection and advisory program to ensure all pool security complies with the requirements of the Local Government Act 1995. The fee is split over four years and is $57.45 for the 2017/18 rating period.

It is your responsibility to advise the City if the pool has been removed from your property.


What is a Refuse charge and why do I pay it?

The annual refuse charge funds the weekly emptying of the 240L green bin and the fortnightly recycling bin service at your property. The refuse charge for 2017/18 year is $351.00.

For further information please call (08) 9021 9600.


Why do I have to pay rates as I don’t use any of your facilities?

Every ratepayer uses one or more facilities provided by the Council. The moment you drive out of your property onto a road you are using a Council facility. If you live outside of the City and have a rental property, your tenant uses the Councils facilities.


How do I change my details?

Property owners have an obligation to ensure the City has the correct details on file. A change of details can only be accepted in writing, this can be done for:
  • Change of address and contact details
  • Change of ownership
  • Change of name 
Via the online form.
Via email to
Via fax (08) 9021 6113
In writing to PO Box 2042, BOULDER, WA 6432.


What payment options do you offer?

The City offers an extensive list of payment methods ranging from electronic methods including Bpay, direct debit, internet and phone payments as well as paying in person at the Post Office, Administration Office or Customer Service Office.

Direct Debit payments can be made in a full payment, by the instalment options or weekly, fortnightly or monthly from your bank account.

Direct debit application forms are available from our forms and documents or by contacting or phone (08) 9021 9654.

Any amendments or cancellations to a direct debit deduction must be done in writing, please email


Is there a cost for replacement Rate Notices?

Yes. Please retain your notice for tax purposes and refinancing as copies of rates notices will cost $15.60 per notice printed or $5.30 per notice emailed.