Find out whether you are an eligible pensioner or eligible senior, which qualifies you for rebates and deferments of your City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder rates.
If you hold a valid Concession Card you could qualify for a rebate or a deferment on paying your rates.
To qualify, ratepayers must meet all the following criteria:
- You must be the owner and occupier of the property at 1 July; and
- You must hold a valid Pensioner Concession Card, State Concession Card, WA Seniors Card or both a WA Seniors Card and Commonwealth Seniors Health Card.
Ratepayers meeting the above criteria must pay their portion of the general rates, sewerage area rates, Emergency Services Levy, rubbish charge and all arrears by 30 June 2017 to claim a rebate.
It is not possible to get an extension to pay the rebate amount after 30 June 2017.
How do I apply for a pensioner/senior rebate?
- Contact the Water Corporation on 1300 659 951 to complete a telephone application. The Water Corporation will then forward a copy of your completed application to the City
- Complete an application online and the Water Corporation will then forward a copy of your completed application to the City OR
- Bring your concession card down to the office to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder administration office during office hours to register
The concession will apply from the date your application is received by the Water Corporation.
Partial concessions are available to pensioners and seniors who become eligible during the financial year. The partial concession will apply from the date your application is received by the Water Corporation.
Is there a maximum rebate amount for pensioners/seniors?
Pensioners who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 50% of the current years general rates, sewerage and Emergency Services Levy subject to *capping conditions
Seniors who meet the eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25% of the current years general rates, sewerage and Emergency Services Levy. The rates rebate for seniors is capped to a maximum amount of $288.70 and $232.44 for sewerage charges for the 2016/17 financial year. There is no maximum or capped amount for the seniors rebate for the Emergency Services Levy.
* As of 2016/17 the State Government has approved a capping for pensioners that is the lesser of $750 or 50% on rates. Sewerage charges have also been capped at $436.15.
What happens if my circumstances change or I no longer receive a pension?
Please notify us
immediately if your circumstances change, particularly with respect to:
- Card type (senior to a pensioner)
- Ownership of property
- Status change (ineligible or no longer hold that card)
Am I eligible to defer my rates?
If you receive a 50% pensioner rebate for the property you may defer paying your rates until the property is sold or you no longer reside at the property.
- Seniors and part pensioners are not entitled to defer their rates
- Deferred rates are charged at the full value, not the reduced (50%) rate
- All charges and levies can be deferred however rubbish and service charges must be paid in full by the end of each financial year
- Deferred rates only become payable at such a time that you either sell your property or cease to reside at the property, even if you are no longer a current pensioner
Please contact the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder on 9021 9654 if you wish to arrange a suitable payment arrangement on deferred rates.
Pensioner and Seniors Fact Sheet