Construction on an existing property

Find out about how to apply for permits for construction on your existing property, including house extensions, sheds, garages, patios, pergolas, and swimming pools.

Page index:

Home renovations and additions

Building approval is required for all house additions and renovations in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. Please discuss your proposal with the Planning Services, as planning approval may be required.

Please download the Building: House addition/renovation (PDF) information sheet, which provides advice on what to submit with an application, such as:

  •  Site plan (1:200 scale)
  •  Floor plan (1:100 scale)
  •  Cross-sections and elevations (1:100 scale)
  •  Construction materials, sizes, spans, centre, footings, connections, slabs and walls
  •  Engineer certification
  •  Specification of energy efficiency conformance
  •  Termite treatment.
Your project may also need planning approval. Please contact Planning Services to find out more.

Back to top

External structures

The construction of front fences, outbuildings, patios, pergolas, carports, swimming pools and spas require a permit from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Your project may also need planning approval. Please contact Planning Services to find out more.


Front fences require building approval. Please download the Building: Fences (PDF)  information sheet, for assistance with lodging an application.

Boundary fences are covered by The Dividing Fences Act, which covers a property owner's rights and obligations. Please go to the Department of Commerce website for more information.

Construction of external buildings

Please download the Building: Outbuilding (PDF) information sheet, which provides tips on applications for enclosed non-habitable detaches structures such as sheds and garages.

Please download the Building: Patio/pergola/carport (PDF) information sheet, which provides information on getting building permits for open-sided structures, both roofed and unroofed.

Swimming pools

Please download the Building swimming pools/spa (PDF) information sheet, for information on how to submit a swimming pool application.
Back to top


Please download the Local building contact list (PDF) for contact details of engineers, draftspersons, surveyors, town planners and builders in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Please download and submit the Specifications of materials to be used (PDF) form, to notify the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder of the building materials used for construction work on your property.

Please download the Proposed re-roof of dwelling (PDF) calculation sheet, to help you calculate the cost of repairs and other work on the roof of your house.

Please download and submit an Application for refund of demolition deposit (PDF) to get your demolition deposit back if no damage has occurred.
Back to top