21-01-15 COVID Direction Affects Concerts

New COVID Direction Affects Concerts

21-01-15 COVID Direction Affects Concerts The first of the 2021 Sunset at the Soundshell Concerts has been cancelled after the COVID Event Plan was rejected by Department of Health following the introduction of new COVID Event Plan approval process on 13 January.
The Department of Health issued the changes to the COVID Event Plan approval process following a review of events featuring live music late last year.
The changes mean that the Battle of the Bands and fireworks display scheduled for 26 January has had to be cancelled, and the remaining two concerts are currently being reviewed.
The Citizenship Ceremony, Australia Day Awards and Walk of Fame will still be taking place at 6pm on Tuesday, 26 January at Centennial Park.
City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder CEO John Walker said the City was working through options in consultation with the Department of Health and local police see if there was a feasible way of putting on the remaining two concerts in a way that is COVID safe but still met the expectations of the community.
“We know the community is really excited for this year’s Sunset at the Soundshell Concerts, however we need to ensure that all events we put on are COVID safe and meet the guidelines and directions of the Department of Health,” Mr Walker said.
“The Department of Health has revised its COVID Event Guidelines, and some of the issues we now have to factor in to the event plan are things like no BYO alcohol, making sure the audience stay seated throughout the concert, and capping attendance at 1500 people.
“These are things that all event organisers across Western Australia are having to deal with at the moment, so we are not alone in navigating these changes. The City will continue to look at ways of delivering COVID safe events for the community, such as the Australia Day Citizenship Ceremony and Awards Presentation that will go ahead.”