The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Buy Local Strategy outlines how the City will assist and partner with local business and industry bodies to impact positively on local purchasing and to encourage and support local employment opportunities.
The vision is to have strong local businesses employing people that live in Kalgoorlie-Boulder, creating new jobs and generating economic growth.
The key goals are to;
- Support and help to develop sustainable and profitable local businesses.
- Maximise the local provision of goods and services regularly required by residents and business.
- Foster collaboration among businesses in procurement, market supply, marketing and freight; and
- Develop a strong retail sector and a vibrant CBD in both Kalgoorlie and Boulder.
For more detail please view the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Buy Local Strategy
The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and in collaboration with the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Chamber of Commerce and Industry (KBCCI) are running a campaign aimed at encouraging local people to support local business called #shoplokalwa.
The shoplokalwa campaign is a pilot project inspired by consultation and research with the local business community and their desire to help create community awareness surrounding the importance of small business within a vibrant community.
This initiative is designed to enthuse the local community in supporting their local small/medium enterprises (SME's). Through the use of #shoplokalwa, The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the KBCCI will support local business exposure. Promoting and celebrating our unique local business community and encourage a strong relationship between the community and the local business sector.
Shoppers are encouraged to follow #shoplokalwa on social media platforms Facebook and Instagram for news, sales, and updates on everything shopping.
Local business retailers are encouraged to join the #shoplokalwa retailers group on Facebook for news, updates and tips on the easiest ways to utilise #shoplokalwa hashtag for improved online business marketing.
The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder's committment to the local business community is further supported by our pledge to the Small Business Friendly Local Government's initiative.
This initiative, developed by the Small Business Development Corporation,
recognises City's work towards, 'better practice' in engaging with our small business community.
The key commitments are to;
- Work to further enhance customer service.
- Make small business payments within 30 days.
- Have a process to handle concerns and disputes.
- Investigate and introduce activities to improve the operating environment for small businesses in Kalgoorlie-Boulder, and;
- Work closely with the Kalgoorlie-Boulder Chamber of Commerce and Industry to support and promote local small businesses.
The City is one of the inaugurating local governments who committed to the initiative by signing a Charter in August 2016.
For more detail please view the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Small Business Friendly Charter