Personal care premises including hair salons, beauty parlours, skin penetration, ear piercing and tattoo parlours must be registered with the City of Kalgoorlie Boulder before commencing operation. By registering with the local council, we work with local businesses to ensure that regulations are met to protect public health by preventing or containing outbreaks of infectious diseases.
Hairdressing establishments are required to comply with the Hairdressing Establishment Regulations 1972. These regulations provide the minimum requirements for health and hygiene standards that must be adhered to in order to prevent the spread of infectious diseases. The City’s Environmental Health Officers periodically inspect all hairdressing establishments to confirm that these health.
Beauty Therapy and Skin Penetration
Skin penetration establishments are required to comply with the Health (Skin Penetration Procedures) Regulations 1998. Certain beauty therapy treatments involve skin penetration activities which may include:
- Cuticle cutting;
- Body piercing; and
- Cosmetic enhancements.
For home businesses, approval by the City's Planning Services is required. Please visit Home Businesses
for further information.
Approval is required from the City in order to operate a hairdressing and/or skin penetration business:
- An application for Registration of Personal Care Premises form to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application fee as per the Fees & Charges to be paid at the time of submitting your application
- A site plan showing the setup is to be submitted with your application
- Check that you’ve met all the salon requirements as per the relevant legislative requirements
- Ensure all equipment, tools and documents (cleaning, disinfection schedules etc.) are ready for inspection
- Book an inspection
Environmental Health Officers can provide further information specific to your business.
Please contact the City's Environmental Health Services on 9021 9600 or email email@example.com