Entries for the 2018 Art Prize open from Monday, 2 July.
Terms and Conditions of Entry
- All entries shall be the original artwork of the artist.
- The artwork must NOT have been exhibited anywhere previously and must align to the central theme of Gold in celebration of 125 years since the discovery of Gold.
- Artists must be a resident of Australia and over 12 years of age.
- The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and its affiliated event partners (drop off / collection addresses) take no responsibility for loss or damage of artwork, including during transit. Insurance is the responsibility of the artist.
- The judges’ decision is final and feedback will not be provided to individual artists.
- The recipient of the acquisitional Major Prize Award agrees to accept the prize pool of $20,000 and forfeit any differences with relation to sale price. The winner must be available to attend the Awards Presenation evening held 21 September from 6.30pm to 9.30pm at the Goldfields Arts Centre, Kalgoorlie-Boulder. Transport and accommodation will be supplied by the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
- The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder and Art Prize Partners reserve the first right to purchase artwork prior to the Art Prize launch.
- An artists’ statement will only be accepted and displayed if it is included in the entry form and no longer than 50 words.
- Award winners, with the exception of the People’s Choice Award, will be announced at the Art Prize launch held 21 September, it is expected that recipients will make themselves available in order to collect their cash prize.
- Artists are responsible for ensuring the category selections are completed correctly on the entry form to ensure they are judged in the appropriate categories. Any discrepancies may result in disqualification and the discretion of the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
- If an artwork sells, City Officers will contact the artist concerned. If you are not contacted, please ensure you pick up your artwork on the designated day and time. Failure to do so will result in additional freight charges payable by artist, after 30 days any unclaimed works will be disposed.
- City Officers reserve the right to take photographs of entries for publicity and archival purposes.
- A non-refundable fee of $30 is required.
- Artists may enter only one art work.
- A photo or image of the work is requested for curation planning purposes. Please attach or upload an image with your entry form, this can be a progress photo.
- Entries will be judged across all award categories nominated. All entries are eligible for the Major Overall Award. Please note that some award categories have specific criteria.
- All artwork submitted will be judged. Efforts will be made to hang all artwork entered. If entries exceed available exhibition space the curator reserves the right to select final artwork hung for the exhibition. The artists involved will be informed.
- All entries must be made available for sale. The sale price must include a 25% commission fee.
- Entries shall be presented in a condition suitable for exhibition. 2D works received unframed or unstretched without means of hanging will not be accepted. Works not completely dry of paint or glue will not be accepted. Damaged or repaired work entered will not be accepted.
- A non-refundable fee of $30 is required and must be received prior to 4pm on Friday, 10 August - late payments will not be accepted and applications withdrawn.
- A link to an Online Payment gateway will be emailed to you shortly after completing your application for online payments.
- Phone/in Person: please phone the Goldfields Arts Centre on 9021 0999 or pay in person to the Goldfields Arts Centre Box Office open Monday - Friday 10am to 3pm at 35 Cheetham Street, Kalgoorlie WA 6430.
- If you are unable to provide payment via the above options please contact the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Events Team on (08) 9021 9600.
Please note the following artwork dimensions. Artwork which varies from these size requirements will not be displayed due to space limitations.
- There is no minimum size for artwork
- All 2D entries must be received framed or stretched, ready to hang with suitable hanging devices, such as ‘D’ rings, cord or picture wire
- Artwork without acceptable hanging devices will not be accepted
- Each entry must state any particular direction for the display of artwork
- Each artwork must be labelled on the back with artist name and artwork title. For judging purposes works are not to be signed.
The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder has arranged a pick-up point at the below locations, please ensure you adhere to schedule, late entries will not be freighted.
DROP OFF SCHEDULE
Menzies: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Pioneer Store Gallery, 42 Shenton Street on Friday 17 August
Leonora: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Shire of Leonora Offices, Lot 16, Tower Street on Friday 17 August
Laverton: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Shire of Laverton Offices, 9 MacPherson Place on Friday, 17 August
Kalgoorlie-Boulder: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Goldfields Arts Centre, 35 Cheetham Street on Friday 24 August or Saturday 25 August 8am to 10am
Esperance: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Cannery Arts Centre, Norseman Road on Friday, 17 August
Wheatbelt / Metro:
Merredin: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Library, 22 Coronation Street on Monday, 13 August
Perth: Drop off between 2pm and 4pm at Artists Chronicle, 130 South Street, Beaconsfield Monday, 13 August
*Subject to change, those affected will be notified directly.
Menzies: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Pioneer Store Gallery, 42 Shenton Street on Friday 19 October
Leonora: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Shire of Leonora Offices, Lot 16, Tower Street on Friday 19 October
Laverton: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Shire of Laverton Offices, 9 MacPherson Place on Friday, 19 October
Kalgoorlie-Boulder: Drop off between 2pm - 5:30pm at Goldfields Arts Centre, 35 Cheetham Street on Friday 12 October
Esperance: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Cannery Arts Centre, Norseman Road on Friday, 19 October
Wheatbelt / Metro:
Merredin: Drop off between 10am and 3pm at Library, 22 Coronation Street on Friday, 19 October
Perth: Drop off between 2pm and 4pm at Artists Chronicle, 130 South Street, Beaconsfield Friday, 19 October
*Subject to change, those affected will be notified directly. Please ensure:
- Your artwork has been labelled with 'City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Art Prize' 'Artist Name' 'Title of Artwork'
- All artwork received by courier must be wrapped in bubble-wrap and cardboard (full boxes only) and ensure packaging is labelled. Although all efforts are made, the same packaging is not guaranteed to be returned.
- If your artwork is not collected on the days and times as detailed above it will be freighted to you at your expense.
Courier If you are couriering your artwork please read this IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Please notify the Events Team by phone on 08 9021 9600 or by email to Jessica.Lang@ckb.wa.gov.au if you are planning to send your artwork by courier. Outline your name, title of artwork, courier and scheduled time of drop off and collection.
- Artwork must be received free of delivery charges.
- It is your responsibility to ensure and check artwork is received and collected. If your artwork is not collected on the days and times as detailed above it will be freighted to you at your expense.
Thank you to our 2018 City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Art Prize Partners
EBM Insurance KALSEC Creative Roly Industries Rick Wilson MP