Are Financial Hardship Policy for Debtors
The City has a Financial Hardship Policy for Debtors where eligible ratepayers can apply for assistance. The financial hardship policy can provide support for people unable to pay their rates, this may include interest waiving or payment arrangement options.
If the City determines a ratepayer is in financial hardship, the eligible ratepayer will be offered a payment plan based on their application which will comprise of the following:
- an extension in time to pay;
- a payment plan; and
- a suspension of interest charges and administration fees whilst a payment plan is in place.
To complete the financial hardship application, evidence of hardship is required and ratepayers are encouraged to provide any information about their circumstances that may be relevant for assessment. A flexible approach will be taken to a range of individual circumstances including, but not limited to, the following situations:
Are you having difficulty paying your rates due to COVID-19?
- recent unemployment or under-employment
- sickness or recovery from sickness
- low income or loss of income
- unanticipated circumstances such as caring for and supporting extended family.
In addition to this policy, the City has put in place additional measures to support ratepayers experiencing hardship due to COVID-19. To apply:
- Read the Financial Hardship Policy for Debtors
- Apply by completing the Financial Hardship for Debtors Application or
- If your application is related to COVID-19, read the information sheet COVID-19 Application Explained and complete the COVID-19 Financial Hardship Application.
- Submit your application for review and assessment and email to email@example.com or you can drop it off at the City’s Administration Office, 577 Hannan Street Kalgoorlie .
You will be advised of a decision via email within 10 business days, subject to all relevant information being provided in your application.
If you wish to discuss your situation or if you have any questions, you can contact our Rates Team on 08 9021 9654 or email firstname.lastname@example.org