Ranger Services

Ranger Services

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Community Rangers are located on the corner of Throssell and Hay Street Kalgoorlie. The Community Rangers can be contacted through the contact us page or by phoning the City on 9021 9600.

Community Ranger Services are available:

  • Rangers Hours: 8:00am - 5:00pm Rangers can respond to and deal with all jobs;

  • Office Hours: 8:30am - 4.30pm every day including public holidays;

  • On Call Rangers Hours: 5:00pm - 8:00am the on-call Ranger can only respond to emergencies such as dog attacks in progress and/or ‘injured animals.

Caravan and camping regulations

Camping in a caravan can only be done in a licensed caravan park. For local caravan parks and camping grounds visit the Kalgoorlie Visitor Centre website by following the link to the right of this page.

Approval to occupy a caravan outside a caravan park must be obtained from either the owner of the land, the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder or the Minister for Local Government, depending on the period of occupancy.

Community Rangers monitor and investigate illegal camping on City land.

Please download the Caravan and Camping fact sheet which covers:
  • Legislation related to caravans and camping; and

  • Information to be submitted with an application to the City or Minister.

It is illegal for individuals or groups to camp on City land without permission. Please report any illegal camping to the Community Rangers.

Concerns regarding squatters on private land should be directed to the police.

What is litter?

Every time someone carelessly throws or drops a cigarette butt onto the ground, they are littering. Such acts could result in bushfires, and are a danger to the community.

Every time someone carelessly abandons a vehicle in our bushland, they spoil the natural beauty and risk polluting the soil with chemicals.

Every time someone carelessly dumps rubbish on the ground, they are endangering local wildlife and adding unnecessary hazards to our land.

Littering is unacceptable to the community.

If you see someone littering, please report it your local Community Ranger.

Penalties for littering

Community Rangers enforce all littering offences in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. The current penalties are:
Offence Individual Body Corporate
Littering $200 $500
Littering creating a public risk $500 $2000
Breaking glass, Metal or earthenware $500 $2000
Bill posting $200 $500
Bill posting on a car $200 $500
Transporting a load inadequately secured $200  
Depositing domestic or commercial waste in a public litter receptacle $200 $500
Unsecure Loads
Unsecure loads are a major hazard on our roads, with the potential to cause serious crashes as well as polluting our natural environment. Kalgoorlie-Boulder rangers are targeting unsecure loads and will issue on the spot fines of $200 to any driver of a vehicle that drops items due to improper restraint. A load is only secure when nothing can slide, shift, fall or become airborne.
If you witness litter due to unsecure loads, contact the City’s rangers on 9021 9600. 
Collecting Firewood
Residents  can collect firewood for personal use in some forest areas forest areas managed by the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA). 

There is a 20 kilometre radius from the centre of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, and a 7.5 kilometre radius from the Kambalda and Coolgardie town centres, where no gathering of firewood is permitted. These are known as the Greenbelts.

When collecting wood for domestic use it is important to note the following:
• Collection should be for private use only and restricted to a ute or trailer load at a time.
• Collect from ‘public firewood areas’ – all areas outside of conservation reserves and private property or where other restrictions apply. 
• Firewood cannot be sold, exchanged or traded for commercial gain.
• It is a legal requirement to gain permission to enter and collect firewood from other land users such as pastoral leaseholders, mining companies and Aboriginal communities.
• Gathering is not allowed within two kilometres of station homesteads or on active mining areas.
• Only take already fallen dead logs; standing dead or green trees cannot be felled. • Do not go off road, this damages the vegetation and hinders woodland regeneration. 

For more information, visit the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions website.