Environmental Health

Environmental Health

Environmental Health Services (EHS) monitors and maintains appropriate environmental health standards within the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, in compliance with the Public Health Act 2016 and other legislation.

To find out more about the role of an Environmental Health Officer download the fact sheet.
Environmental nuisance and pollution
Property owners are responsible for ensuring that activities on their property do not negatively impact neighbouring properties, residences and the environment.

Such negative environmental health issues include:
  • Air pollution

  • Environmental pollution

  • Odours

  • Drainage and sewerage

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder's local laws cover many environmental nuisance and pollutions control measures used by us.

The Public Health Act 2016, Health (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1911 and Environmental Protection Act 1986 empowers the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder to issue compliance notices when an environmental nuisance occurs.

The City can also resolve nuisance and pollution issues through:
  • Mediation of neighbour-to-neighbour conflicts

  • Investigation of formal complaints against businesses

Unreasonable noise
Noise is an accepted part of living in an urban environment. Unreasonable noise, however, is not.

The Environmental Protection (Noise) Regulations 1997 defines 'unreasonable noise' for the purposes of Sections 79 and 80 of the Environment Protection Act 1986.

The Department of Environmental Regulations website provides more information on noise pollution in Western Australia.

Both the police and the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder have the authority to enforce these noise regulations.
Dealing with noisy neighbours
The first and best approach for dealing with noisy neighbours is to discuss the problem with them. Your neighbours may not be aware that their behaviour is disturbing you. This can result in changes that will benefit both parties.

If initial talks with your neighbour do not resolve the problem, you can contact the City during office hours, and either the City or the police after hours. For more information refer to our neighbourhood noise fact sheet.