Storm Recovery Updates

Storm Recovery Updates

Services and Amenities

City Services

Following the storm on 19 November, please see bekow status of our venues and facilities:
  • Boulder Town Hall is closed.
All other City services are operating business as usual.

Western Power

The City is continuing to liaise with Western Power, but we are unsure how long reconnection will take in different areas. Please contact Western Power directly on 131 351 or visit their website.

Food Safety Information

Food Businesses

The City's Environmental Health Officers are visiting all food business that are reopening to inspect food temperature and food safety. If you are a food business and have not yet been visited, please contact the City on 9021 9600. 


The unexpected power outages mean that people may face challenges in keeping their food at a safe temperature.
To reduce the risk of food related illnesses to you and your family, it is best to throw away the following food items if you cannot guarantee that they've stayed below 5 degrees:
  • Meat - cooked and raw
  • Dairy items
  • Cut fruit and salads
  • Cooked pasta and rice
  • Seafood.
Any cooked food items that cannot be safely stored below 5 degrees should be discarded after 4 hours.
Residents may also be eligible for compensation for food that has been affected by the power outage. Remember to check with your insurance company.  Western Power also has limited compensation available. Please visit their website to find out more.
Clean Up

Waste Disposal

There will be no tip charges for the disposal of storm debris at the Yarri Road Waste Facility, including no charges for asbestos or green waste.
Please call the City BEFORE you take any asbestos to the tip on 9021 9600.

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is offering free additional green bin services for all community members between Tuesday 21 November to Saturday 25 November. The free services are provided to assist people disposing of food that is no longer good because of the electricity outage. If you wish to receive an additional green bin service, you can call the City’s Customer Service Centre on (08) 9021 9600  between 8:30am – 4:30pm. Please do not direct phone calls to Cleanaway. 

Tree Removal

The City has prioritised storm clean up and tree removal based on a number of factors including safety, reopening roads and helping our businesses stay operational. 

The City is happy for residents to drag storm debris from properties onto the verge for collection at a later date.  At this stage the City is unable to advise when collection will occur due to the volume of debris. Please ensure that any debris placed on the verge does not obstruct roads, driveways and footpaths or impede driver visibility.

Verge Collection of Greenwaste

The deadline for placing greenwaste on the verge for collection by the City is Friday 1 December 2017.  City crews are working their way systematically through Kalgoorlie-Boulder to collect all storm related greenwaste only.  Other rubbish will not be collected. Please do not bag or box the greenwaste. 

Verge collection of greenwaste is not a service usually offered by the City. 

If you have put storm related greenwaste on your verge for collection, please register your address with the City's Customer Service Team on 9021 9600 so it can be collected.

Remember to report fallen trees, branches and other storm debris using the "Snap, Send, Solve" app, which is available for free download in your app store. 

Personal Wellbeing
WA Country Health Service Goldfields Regional Public Health Physician Dr Clare Huppatz is encouraging residents to stay safe and healthy during the current power outage. Hot weather can lead to health problems, which are occasionally very serious, requiring hospitalisation. 

Those most at risk include the young, the elderly, people with a disability, those with existing medical conditions, and people who work in outdoor settings.  There are some simple steps that can help prevent heat-related illness and medical advice should be sought as soon as signs of heat related illness appear. 
  • Babies and young children: Babies and young children may not show signs or symptoms of heat stress as quickly as adults and they rely on others to keep them from getting dehydrated and overheated.  It is important to ensure children are regularly offered cool drinks and protected from the sun and heat. 
  • Elderly:  Older people and those with pre-existing medical conditions or disabilities can be more prone to heat related illness and may require additional help during such times from family, neighbours and/or carers.  A plan for providing adequate assistance to people with increased needs might include: arranging to check on them twice a day to ensure they are cool enough and well hydrated, ensuring the person has a means of calling for help, monitoring the person for signs and symptoms of heat related illness and assisting them get medical help when needed.  If the house is hot and has an air conditioner, it should be turned on; if no air conditioner is available, consider visiting a public area with air conditioning during periods of the day.  Other simple ways to keep cool include wiping skin with a cool face washer, putting feet in a bowl of cool water, hanging a wet cloth in front of a fan and sucking on ice cubes. 
  • For people who must work outdoors during very hot weather, ensure you start work well hydrated, drink frequently, protect yourself from sun, work in an area with good air circulation (to assist sweat evaporate)and rest often to cool down.  
  • Prevent harm from hot weather by: maintaining hydration, staying sheltered in a cool place with good air flow, wearing adequate sun protection outside (sunscreen, sun hat, long sleeves/pants, sunglasses) and monitoring signs and symptoms of heat related illness. 
  • Signs of heat related illness include: increased heart rate, nausea and vomiting, dizziness and feeling faint, headaches, muscle cramps and weakness; and urinating less often. 
  • If anyone develops any of these signs, they should contact their GP for advice or call Healthdirect on 1800 022 222 or attend their local emergency department.  Serious heat-related illness is signified by vomiting, becoming confused or having hot red or dry skin (because sweating has stopped) and if these symptoms occur, dial 000 for an ambulance.
  • Further information on how to keep healthy during extremely hot weather can be found on the Department of Health website.

Wandering Animals

If residents see unrestrained or wandering animals, it is important that they record the location of the animal and report it immediately to the City's Community Rangers. If possible, please take a photo of the animal so you can provide an accurate description to Community Rangers. 

If your animal escaped during the storm and has not yet been found, please visit the City's Animal Pound webpage to see if we have your pet.  The pound page is regularly updated to ensure all impounded animals are shown. 
Building Services Advice
The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder provides the following advice in respect to buildings and incidental structures which may have been damaged as a result of the recent storm.

In any instance, the safety of the public is the City’s primary concern. If you have a building or incidental structure which has been damaged, please contact the City’s Building Services on 9021 9600 to arrange a time for a representative of the City to inspect the damaged structure and provide a non-punitive emergency building order which will allow emergency remedial works to be undertaken without first requiring a building permit.

Please email us your photographs, providing your property details/contact telephone numbers and we will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

Building Fees and Approvals

The City is waiving all building fees and charges for emergency building works and works directly related to storm damage. Please submit applications as required. 

Please note the following repairs will be exempt from approvals:
• Like-for-like repair of boundary and front fences;
• Replacement of small sections of roof sheeting; and
• Any repairs of a non-structural nature.

If you are unsure, contact Building Services for more information.

Swimming Pool and Spa Safety Barriers

If you have a private swimming pool or spa on your property, it is the responsibility of each owner and/or occupier to ensure that a compliant safety barrier is provided to restrict access by young children. If a safety barrier has been damaged during the storm, temporary fencing should be installed as a matter of urgency. If you would like a City officer to attend site to inspect and provide advice in relation to your safety barrier, please contact the City’s Building Services on 9021 9600.


Dividing fences are jointly owned and controlled under the Dividing Fences Act 1961.  Fences should not be removed without the consent of the adjoining property owners, unless the removal is required as a matter of urgency to prevent imminent collapse of, or damage to, any land including a building or structure on the lot.
Residential Swimming Pools
When residential pools have lost power for more than 24 hours, this can pose a health risk to you and your family.
Because the pump and filter system is not working the bugs and other nasties can grow to levels which are unsafe.
The best way to overcome this is not to use your pool until the power comes back on, you have increased chlorine to acceptable levels including regular testing, and your pool has had the chance to run for at least 24 hours.

If you would like further information on safe pools after a power outage, please call our City’s Environmental Health team on 9021 9600.