The Yarri Road Refuse Facility, also known as the tip, is a landfill and waste disposal plant operated by the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
The Facility is located at 33 Yarri Road, approximately 7 kilometres north-east of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
Use of the Yarri Road Refuse Facility is free for domestic waste brought to the Yarri Road facility by car, utilities, vans or trailers up to 1.2 m x 2.4 m.
Material entering the site is to be disposed of in the designated areas.
Opening hours Asbestos and Synthetic Material Fibres (SMF) Disposal
Yarri Road Refuse Facility is open:
- Monday to Sunday
- 7 am to 5 pm*
- Closed on Good Friday and Christmas Day
* 5 pm close time sharp. Please arrive by 4:30 pm
To contact the facility phone (08) 9091 4308.
Before you dispose asbestos or SMF at the facility you must follow the below criteria, or waste will not be accepted
- Asbestos or SMF must be separated from other materials for disposal.
- Asbestos or SMF must be double wrapped and sealed with tape in a way that prevents asbestos fibres from entering the atmosphere during transport.
- Asbestos must be labelled with the words ‘CAUTION ASBESTOS’ in letters not less than 50mm high.
- Provide notice to the facility at least 24 hours prior to disposal.
- Provide a valid building or demolition permit for the address where the waste originates for all disposal over 1m3.
- Use a licensed asbestos removalist and present a building or demolition permit for all waste over 10m2.
- Provide a proof of residency such as a driver’s license or rates notice for domestic disposal.
- Unwrapping of packages on-site is not permitted under any circumstances. Loads with torn plastic will be rejected.
These requirements are in place to ensure asbestos and SMF are disposed of safely and correctly. It is strongly recommended
that you engage a licensed removalist for any disposal of asbestos or SMF.
Only controlled waste carriers are permitted to dispose of tyres on behalf of businesses.Commercial and industrial waste
Tyres under 200kg do not require a controlled waste form but are still required to be transported by a licensed carrier.
All controlled waste tracking forms MUST provide the address for the source of waste. A related company address is not acceptable.
Domestic tyres are to be separated from general rubbish and disposed of as directed by staff.
Businesses and other commercial organisations using the facility will be charged a waste disposal fee based on the weight and type of waste disposed of. Details of the fees can be found in the Schedule of fees and charges.
Any potentially contaminated soil must be tested in accordance with the Landfill Waste Classification and Waste Definitions 1996
(As amended December 2009) by a NATA accredited laboratory. Results must be provided to the City prior to approval to dispose at Yarri Road Refuse Facility. Analysis results should be emailed to the City’s Waste Team.
Commercial and industrial waste must be weighed and categorised by the the Yarri Road refuse facility Site Controller.
The Department of Water and Environment Regulation provide guidance for the classification of waste for acceptance to landfills, including:
- Landfill classes and waste types
- Classification of waste
- Sampling solid waste and interpretation of results
Four Tonne Residential Tip Pass
City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder residents disposing of domestic waste can use the facility free of charge.
Domestic Refuse Classification refers to waste streams generated from the day to day operations of a household on a residential premise.
Waste streams that are not classified as domestic refuse include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Building Waste/rubble;
- Construction and demolition materials;
- Contaminated soil;
- More than two vehicle tyres;
- Chemicals and paint; and
- Hazardous materials.
Customer Safety Onsite
The residential tip pass policy allows residential properties to dispose of up to four tonnes of waste per financial year at the Yarri Road Refuse Facility for free. One pass is avaialble per residential property each financial year, and is valid for a period of 7 days following the date of issue.
Commercial businesses are not entitled to this policy, however a commercial contractor may act on behalf of a residential property owner with written consent. Accepted waste is strictly limited to domestic refuse, which is detailed as day-to-day waste generated by domestic properties. For further infromation please view the Policy in the sidebar.
To obtain a Residential Tip Pass please fill in the application form, and deliver to the City either via email
or in person.
When on site at the Yarri Road Refuse Facility please make sure:
- You wear enclosed shoes
- Obey all safety signs and directions from the facility employees
- Children remain in the vehicle at all times
A vehicle acceptance criteria form is required to be submitted when disposing of obsolete vehicles at the facility.
The vehicle acceptance criteria includes:
- Proof of ownership/VIN number;
- Registration plates removed;
- Keys removed;
- Gas cylinders degassed;
- Batteries removed;
- Fuel removed;
- Oil removed;
- Wheels/tyres removed; and
- Waste from inside the vehicle removed.
For more information please refer to the ‘vehicle waste acceptance form’ which is required to be completed upon arrival at the weighbridge.
At Yarri Road Refuse Facility you can recycle:
- Lead acid batteries
- Aluminium cans
- Electronic waste (E-waste) - computers, TVs, printers
- Motor oil
Recyclable goods should be separated and placed in the designated recycling areas provided.