Food businesses

Food businesses

The City's Environmental Health Services make sure food businesses are compliant with all safety standards and regulations.
Temporary food premises
A temporary food premise is any equipment and appliances for preparing or selling food that is intended to be dismantled or moved intact. This includes barbeques, sausage sizzles, cake stalls and food stands.

All temporary food businesses and stalls must notify the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder before trading in public.

Every person who sells food from a temporary food premises is responsible for ensuring the food is safe and does not cause food poisoning. Food poisoning is dangerous to customers and potentially disastrous to your organisation, and may result in legal action.

Please read the National Code for Food Vending Vehicles and Temporary Food Premises.

Registration of temporary food premises

In compliance with the Food Act 2008, all temporary food premises need to be registered with the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, including:
  • For-profit businesses
  • Non-profit organisations
  • Charities.
Registration enables Environmental Health to assess the organisation and provide information about safe food handling and preparation practices.

Please download and submit a notification of a food stall or temporary food premise. 
Food preparation at charity events
If you are preparing food for a one-off fundraising event arranged by a community or charitable organisation, you require a permit from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Please contact Environmental Health services to discuss:
  • What foods are allowed to be sold
  • What conditions are required for sale
Permits are only valid for the day applied for.

Please download and submit a permit to conduct application form. You will also need to submit a site plan of the event. For events in the St Barbara Square a downloadable area map has been provided for your convenience.

Please download our guidelines for foods fact sheet for more information on health guidelines related to:
  • Home preparation area
  • Food contents
  • Presentation of food products
  • Stall area
  • Food cooked on the day
  • Preparing and cooking food safely
  • Disposable utensils
  • Water
  • Handwashing facilities.
For more information on food safety, please visit the Food Standards Australia website.
Permanent food premises

Notification and registration

Businesses that store, prepare, handle, serve and sell food are required to notify and register with the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

The City’s Environmental Health Services is responsible for administering:
  • Public Health Act 2016
  • Food Act 2008 (WA): this act signified a major change to the State's food regulatory environment. It controls the sale of food to ensure that it is safe and is suitable for human consumption
  • Australian New Zealand Food Standards Code

Notification of food business

The Australia New Zealand Food Safety Standards require all food businesses to notify the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder:
  • Before any new food business starts operations
  • When the nature of an existing business changes
  • When the ownership of an existing business changes.
Please download the Food Business Notification form and include the following details:
  • Proprietor’s name and address
  • Nature of the food business
  • Location of all food premises used by the business

Food premises design and construction standards

All food premises are required to be compliant with the Food Act 2008 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. An additional requirement for new food premises is to submit fit-out plans and obtain approval from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder prior to commencing trade.

Generally, the food premises and equipment should be designed, built and located so as to:
  • Be easy to clean and maintain;
  • Not be easy for insects and pests to inhabit.
Our Environmental Health Services can provide advice on carrying out any alterations or construction.

Application for registration and licence

These forms are to be completed and submitted at your final building inspection, before opening for business.

If the application is approved, you will receive a certificate of registration and licence to operate a food business.

A registration fee will apply to businesses which serve or prepare meals for profit, but not for other types of food businesses.
Alfresco and Outdoor Dining
Alfresco dining is a food premise placing tables and chairs on an adjacent public footpaths for its customers to use. This potentially increases the number of customers for the food premises.

As the footpath and verge area is under the control of the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, a permit is required to install an alfresco area. Environmental Health Services will process and approve permit applications. In addition, building and planning approvals may also be required.

Applicants are encouraged to read our Alfresco Dining in Public Places policy which determines how we will assess your application.

Please download our Alfresco Dining fact sheet which provides details to help with your permit application, including:
  • Information to be submitted
  • Processing of your application
  • Other requirements
Applying, transferring and renewing a Permit

To apply for a permit, you will need:

  • Application form
  • Cleaning contract document
  • Public risk insurance for $10 million dollars, with the City as an interested party
  • Site plan indicating where tables and chairs are to be placed—in relation to footpath, road, buildings, veranda posts, street furniture, and street parking bays—and the designated pedestrian area which is to be kept clear at all times
  • Floor plan of the food premises showing the kitchen, dining, and toilet facilities
  • Photographs, illustrations, or brochures showing the type of tables and chairs to be used.

As part of the assessment an on-site inspection of the premises will be carried out.

If the application is approved and payment of required fees, an alfresco dining permit will be issued. These permits need to be renewed each financial year.

Please download and complete a Trading in Public Places application form, which also includes information on conditions of the permit.

Renewal of permits

Please use the Application for renewal of permit: Alfresco/Outdoor Dining to renew your permit.

You will also need to resubmit a copy of your public risk insurance policy.

Transferring of permits

When transferring your existing alfresco or outdoor dining permit to another person, a new public risk insurance policy of $10 million is required.

Please download and submit an Application for transfer of an Alfresco/Outdoor Dining Permit.

Food safety standards

The Food Standards Australia code requires food businesses to ensure that food handlers and their supervisors have the skills and knowledge for proper food safety and food.

City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Environmental Health Services monitor food hygiene through routine inspections and occasional testing for microbiological and chemical standards.


Food Safe is a training program on safe food preparation and food handling techniques. It is suitable for anyone, from individual proprietors, students to multinational corporations.

The Food safety pages of the WA Department of Health website provides additional information and resources on food safety.

Food safety programs

Food safety activities by the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder include:
  • Educating of food operators and the general community
  • Inspecting registered food businesses
  • Procurement of food samples for analysis
  • Approval and compliance checking of food safety in food businesses
Environmental Health Services investigates consumer enquiries and complaints and conducts regular inspections of food premises to ensure compliance with relevant acts and regulations.

If you have a concern about contaminated food or food poisoning at a food premise, or suspect someone of selling food without a permit, please contact us.