Swimming Pools & Spas

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder checks pool and spa barricades on a 4-yearly schedule to make sure the barricade is compliant with the State Government's legislation.

The State Government legislates that pool barricade fencing is required around swimming pools and spas to assist in the prevention of childhood drowning. This is particularly important for children under five years age who are most at risk. The City encourages all property owners with either a pool or spa to ensure that their barricade is maintained in good working order at all times.

The Lifesaving WA website has information on pool safety and a checklist for pool barrier compliance.

If you're unsure if your pool barricade is compliant, contact the City's Building Services Team to book an inspection.

Swimming pool and spa approvals

A building permit is required for a private swimming pool or spa capable of holding more than 30 centimetres of water. This includes any structure or excavation used primarily for swimming, wading, paddling or the like. Pools and spas must also be secured with an approved barrier.

Things to consider before getting started

Before making an application there are a number of things you should take into consideration. Existing facilities such as soakwells, internal sewer drainage pipes, septic tanks and leach drains that are located in the proposed pool area will need to be relocated as part of the pool installation. Additionally, some lots are affected by easements to protect important infrastructure such as drainage, sewage and underground power. Easements are generally “no build” zones, but more information should be sought from the easement holder before proceeding.

Consideration must also be given to how the pool or its installation may impact on buildings and adjoining land. If the pool will undermine any existing building/s on the site (e.g. the dwelling), an engineered solution must be provided to protect the building/s. However, if the pool will adversely affect an adjoining property (e.g. reduce the bearing capacity), approval must be obtained from the affected land owner before submitting an application. This applies regardless of whether the lot is developed or vacant.

Quick Links

Rules for Pools and Spas

Lifesaving WA

Contact Us