Film Friendly City

Filming in Kalgoorlie-Boulder

With its rugged outback landscape, stunning heritage streetscapes and unique woodlands, Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the Goldfields region has become an increasingly popular destination for commercial filming. The region is being showcased on the big and small screen in movies like Son of a Gun, wildly successful series like Upright, and in hit reality TV, including Aussie Gold Hunters and Desert Collectors.

The City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is committed to supporting commercial filming in the region and are proud to facilitate the growing number of productions being filmed in Kalgoorlie-Boulder and the Goldfields.

As part of this commitment, the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder is now a Screenwest certified ‘Film Friendly City’, and offers support to the film and television industry. There is no cost for commercial filming in public spaces in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
Commercial filming includes, but is not limited to:

  • Television and feature films
  • Advertising
  • Documentaries and educational programs
  • Tourism promotion material

Permission is not required from the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder for still photography.

The Film Liaison Officer can assist productions with:

  • Identifying locations within the City
  • Referrals to other organisations
  • Connecting with local creative and cultural industries

 If you’d like more information about filming in Kalgoorlie-Boulder, or to discuss your project, please contact the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder on (08) 9021 9600 or by email to

Filming Application

Are you thinking of filming in Kalgoorlie-Boulder?

The City can provide helpful advice in regards to filming areas and any recommendations for locations, including public spaces, City-owned facilities and outdoor areas. If you wish to film on private property, you will need to contact the property owner directly.

To discuss your proposed location and to identify any potential issues that may need to be addressed, please contact the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder by email to or complete an Application to Film form below.

There is no fee associated with commercial filming in public spaces in Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Please Note: The Commercial Filming Application does not constitute a filming permit. Once approved, a permit will be issued to the applicant. It is advised you keep a copy of the permit with you at all times during filming.

To obtain permission to film in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, please complete a filming application form.

Approvals and Support

Traffic Management

If your filming will take place on or near roads, please consider the impact your project may have on the flow of traffic or impede pedestrian or vehicle access on footpaths, laneways or thoroughfares, you will be required to submit a Traffic Management Plan.

Please discuss this with the Film Liaison Officer to confirm whether your TMP will be required by Main Roads WA and/or the Goldfields Esperance Police. There are a number of traffic management companies that work in the Goldfields Esperance region if you need assistance to plan or execute your TMP. 

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (Drones)

Commercial Drone Operations within 5.5km of the Airport or operating above 120m or above 250gm unit need to be referred to Kalgoorlie-Boulder Airport Operations for approvals. Failure to comply will result in fines of up to $11,100.00. Responsibility for compliance with Federal regulations and public safety requirements lies exclusively with operators.

The peak body for drone operation in Australia is the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA). Appropriate licences and permits for flying drones must be obtained through CASA.

If you are looking for more information on flying drones commercially, visit the CASA website.


The City is committed to responding to all filming enquiries in a timely manner, and you should hear back within five business days for simple applications and within ten business days for complex applications which include requirements for additional approvals.

Will there be any anticipated disruption to surrounding areas, such as road closures, loud noises etc?

Please Note: If Traffic Management is required, you will need to provide a Traffic Management Plan as part of this application before a Permit is issued.

Max File Size: 10.00 MB
Allowed File Types: .avi, .doc, .docx, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .mov, .mp3, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .pdf, .png, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx

Please upload your Traffic Management Plan.

Will there be any machinery or equipment, including drones, used during filming?

Please Note: CASA Regulations currently prohibit drones in public spaces. Contact CASA for details and ensure that any requirements set forth by CASA relation to licences or permit are secured prior to submitting this application.

Max File Size: 10.00 MB
Allowed File Types: .avi, .doc, .docx, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .mov, .mp3, .mp4, .mpeg, .mpg, .pdf, .png, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx

Get Audio Code


Quick Links

Planning an Event

Screenwest Film Friendly WA


Main Roads WA


Hannans North Tourist Mine

WA Museum of the Goldfields

Kalgoorlie Boulder Visitors Centre