Subdivision and Amalgamation

Subdivision is the division of land into smaller lots. The subdivision process also includes the amalgamation of lots into larger single lots.

Subdivision and amalgamation in Western Australia are administered by the Western Australia Planning Commission (WAPC). We encourage the landowners and developers to engage with the City for advice concerning subdivision and amalgamation before applying with the WAPC.

The process for a subdivision or amalgamation can be found below:

1. Application for Subdivision/Amalgamation Approval is initiated by the applicant. Subdivision applications are lodged with supporting information and are processed by the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage on behalf of WAPC.

2. Subdivision applications are then registered by the Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage, and referred to the relevant State Government agencies such as Western Power, MainRoads, etc. and the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder for comments.

3. Referral agencies have 42 days to respond. Once referrals are received, the Planning Officer generates a report and a recommendation.

4. The decision from the WAPC is forwarded to the Applicant with copies to the appropriate referral agencies. Most conditional approvals are valid for three to four years.

5. The Applicant will then be required to initiate the clearance process to obtain their final approval.

6. To obtain a Clearance of Conditions Approval all works must be completed or near completion to the satisfaction of the City.

7. The City and other relevant agencies will then advise the WAPC and/or Applicant in writing that the relevant condition(s) have been approved.

8. You will need appropriate clearance letters from all relevant agencies and the diagram of the survey. You can then lodge an application with the WAPC. Once the WAPC deems the application compliant, it will be forwarded to Landgate to issue the Certificate of Title.

Submitting a Clearing of Conditions Application

You can submit a Clearance of Conditions Application in one of three ways:

· Through email using

· In person by visiting the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Administration Building, 577 Hannan Street, Kalgoorlie; or

· Mailing to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, PO Box 2042, Boulder, WA 6432

If you have any further questions or would like additional assistance in preparing your application, please contact Planning Service on (08) 9021 9600, in person at the administration building or by email at