Development Application Overview

Planning plays a pivotal role in shaping the physical environment, guiding sustainable growth, and preserving the City's unique character. 

What is a Development Approval?

A Development Approval is required for most forms of development and land use. The Local Planning Scheme No. 2 determines what development and land use types can be approved and establishes conditions on development and land use activities to reduce the impacts of some proposals on surrounding areas.

Key State Government documents that guide planning in Western Australia are:

Key Local Government documents that will define and guide your Development Application are:

Development Approval may be required for most types of development and land uses in the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder. This includes:

  • The erection/construction of any building or structure
  • Building alterations or additions
  • Change of land use
  • Home occupation or home business
  • Signage

Submitting a Development Application

To submit a Development Application, you can:

  • Send your application to
  • Submit in person by visiting the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder Administration Building, 577 Hannan Street, Kalgoorlie
  • By posting to the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder, PO Box 2042, Boulder WA 6432

What happens after I submit an application?

Once we receive your completed application and fee payment, it will be assigned to a Planning Officer. You will receive correspondence within 7 days from when your application is submitted acknowledging receipt of your application.

After the Planning Officer has reviewed your application and determined that sufficient information has been provided, it may be forwarded to other authorities, agencies and surrounding property owners for comment or advice.

The Planning Officer will advise you of its decision once all matters and comments have been considered.